Wednesday 1 January 2014

A little more Brisbane

Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

 
I hope you all had a great time ringing in 2014, whether it was partying it up in style or relaxing and enjoying yourselves. Before we get too far into 2014 I need to catch up on all that Dave and I have done in the past few weeks.

So, we have to go all the way back to November to fill you in on what we've been up to. I hope I can remember it all!!! One of the coolest things we did while in Brisbane was visit the Australia Zoo, home of the great Steve Irwin. It was a really amazing zoo and we had an awesome day there. They actually let you pet and play with some of the animals in the zoo, which was the best thing ever! We got to pet a koala, a tiny alligator and a bunch of kangaroos. The highlight of my day was successfully spooning a kangaroo while he was chilling out on the grass. So hilarious! We got to see so many different animals and they put on a ton of shows too. The best show was with the salt water crocodiles. Those things are HUGE!!!! Way more scary and dangerous than alligators! Dave had two favourite parts of the day - the first was watching a small goanna eat a mouse. This was a wild goanna in one of the gardens that just happened upon a poor unsuspecting mouse! Later in the day we saw two wild goannas in a fight. It was hilarious to watch how they fight - they slam their heads to together and turn around in circles while trying to bite their opponent. There was blood and everything! There were also two baby tigers that were just born a the zoo about a month and a half before we were there. They were on display for a little bit also - so cute watching them run around and play with each other! Oh, and the day before we were there, apparently one of the workers at the zoo was mauled by one of the tigers - so that exhibit was closed while we were there. The employee was alright, but still so scary. We had no idea anything like that had happened until we saw the news that night when we got home to Jeff's place. Wild!!


We had a few more days to kill in Brisbane before our flight to Tasmania, so Dave thought it was a good thing for him to look into finishing up his scuba certification that he started back in Toronto. He signed himself up for a weekend course for 2 days. I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with two days to myself, so I started throwing around the idea of taking the course with him. I have never had an urge to learn to scuba dive before. Frankly, I was terrified of the idea. But, the opportunity presented itself and, I mean, it is the year of "yes", so I thought why not?! AHHHHHH, it was so scary! The first day we spent a few hours in the pool learning all the skills, like clearing your mask under water, and buddy breathing. That was scary enough! Then we had to do one open water dive before the end of the day. I wasn't really ready for what they meant. I expected the water to be crystal clear blue water, with great visibility and tons of cool fish to look at. Instead, I could barely see my own hand when I held it up in front of me, it was freezing cold and the only things I saw were a toilet and a chair at the bottom of the ocean! I almost had a panic attack and I think I almost broke Dave's hand from squeezing it so hard! I would not let go of him the entire dive. The worst part was that we still had 3 more open water dives to do the next day in the same water. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get back into the water and do the dives, but I did. It was a very challenging, terrifying and rewarding experience. I am really happy that I stuck it out, but I think I will only ever scuba dive if the visibility is better and there are more sights to look at - I mean, that is what it's all about! But, we are both now PADI certified scuba divers!!!

A couple of days fafter the scuba course we flew out to Tasmania. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment